- “Officials Say The Darnedest Things” blogs quotes from politicians with just enough context to make you roll your eyes.
- The Atlantic Wire counts four reasons why Obama is probably hand-wringing over his reelection chances.
- Horacio Castellanos Moya on what it’s like to be a writer in exile.
- “The discussion page for the article on ‘Toilet Paper Orientation’ is 2x longer than that for the Iraq War.” That nugget comes from a wastefully informative infographic that presents everything you never needed to know about the different ways to hang your toilet paper. Let us ask, Over or under?
- Bookforum ponders what the Bestseller List would look like if authors could only make the list once in their careers.
- GOOD magazine examines The Eternal Shame of Your First Online Handle. Was yours worse than “Fink Ployd” or “principalrichardbelding”?
- Jorge may have earned a PhD in the United States, but he’s still an illegal immigrant with a bleak job outlook.
- It’s Poop Week at the birding and conservation blog 10,000 Birds. Boy, is it ever.
- What are you doing this summer? Please come to Washington and help stop a massive oil pipeline, say Naomi Klein, Bill McKibben, Wendell Berry and other green leaders.
- Fukushima who? Nuclear power supporters get back to business as usual.
Not right, not left, but forward thinking, Utne Reader combs the alternative, independent, and digital press for thoughtful journalism, artful storytelling, and emerging ideas.