- Sex advice columnist Dan Savage has become one of the country’s foremost ethicists. Just don’t ask Sen. Rick Santorum what he thinks of this.
- We couldn’t have summed this up any better than Good: “Liberal Brains Bigger in Areas of Complexity; Conservative Brains Bigger in Areas of Fear.”
- What makes us care? E.O. Wilson’s thinking on the subject has gotten the eminent biologist in hot water again.
- Bolivia is poised to pass shockingly eco-friendly legislation: The Law of Mother Earth. According to Good, the law “makes humans equal to all other living things and establishes 11 new rights for nature, including the right to life, the right to pure water and clean air, and the right to not have cellular structure genetically modified.”
- Guess which former South African president and champion of democracy is on Twitter now? Could it be Nelson Mandela? Well, almost.
- Have you bought that new 3D TV yet? Well, in a couple decades I’m sure they’ll be chuckling at the commercials for those the same way you’ll chuckle at this commercial from such a simple time.
- Isa Leshko, featured by Photo District News, is obsessed by subjects that age naturally. Very naturally.
- You’ve heard of Tang. What about space tea?
- In this French Tropicana ad, the power of oranges is harnessed to light up a neon billboard.
- American suburbs are rapidly turning into slums. Is your metro area at risk?
- What it’s like to be inside an empire heading down faster and blinder than anyone expected or is prepared to deal with.
- Rock stars need love, too—from their kitties.
- If you like homemade soup and want your garden’s soil tested, stop for lunch at Philadelphia’s public-art-project-cum-bistro Soil Kitchen.
- One more reason to fear the sea: Jellyfish that are 50 meters long.
Not right, not left, but forward thinking, Utne Reader combs the alternative, independent, and digital press for thoughtful journalism, artful storytelling, and emerging ideas.